Thursday, April 19, 2012

Bill's Adventure #2


The first picture is of the fence that surrounds the compound. By the lamp I think I see coiled barbed wire? Not sure... The second shot is what he sees just outside his room.
Kenna and I tried calling him last night at 9:45, our time, which is 4:45- when he is getting up for work. We tried for a half hour and I think at one point I was listening to the movie theatre choices in a french speaking town. I am anxious to see the phone bill, so I know where in the world we called. Bill was able to call us when he got to his office. I found out that his phones are actually satellite phones out of the UK, so that was probably the reason why Kenna and I were struggling. We were reading the directions for calling Algeria and the numbers and the amount of numbers was not adding up. Anyway, it was so wonderful to hear his voice, even if it was for 20 seconds. I think that the emotions are pretty raw on both sides of the world right now, so it was a fast phone call, but just enough to know that everyone is safe and coping. Bill only slept for 3 hours last night, but I hope that tonight is better for him. We are going to try calling him tonight at 9:30 (4:30 for him) as he needs to be to work for 5:45 and it sounds like he was rushed yesterday. When we emailed with him today, he seemed to be in better spirits and even said that the second day was better for him. He said the compound is actually quite beautiful with lots of flowers. And that when he goes outside- he definitely knows he's in the desert!
It has been hard on the girls but we are taking things day by day, and doing lots of talking. Dakota is emotional, just like me, but has been holding it together pretty good- until one of her triops died last night. Ainsley is very analitical and practical about the situation and has been entertaining Bill with her stories. Mckenna has been upset and missing her buddy, but we are working through that. They have been enjoying emailing him and waking up to read his emails. I told them that it's OK to feel this way- it just means that we all love each other so much. I wouldn't want it any other way.
We were hoping that Bill would be able to use Skype, but he can't even get Google, so that may be out of the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment